Dr. Michael Smith is a Neurosurgeon specializing in the care and surgical management of Spine Conditions. Dr. Smith has worked as a specialist in spinal neurosurgery in New York City since 2008. He initially started his practice at Montefiore Medical Center as an assistant professor of neurosurgery of Albert Einstein College of Medicine until 2009, and then transitioned to NYU Medical Center as an assistant professor of neurosurgery at NYU School of Medicine until joining Rothman Orthopaedic Institute in New York in 2019.
Are you looking for an Neurosurgeon Doctor Near Me? Where do I find an Neurosurgeon Doctor Near Me?
How to Find Neurosurgeon Doctor Near Me
Education and background
- Orthopedic Surgeon
- Spine Specialist
- Rothman Orthopaedics
- NYU Langone Health
- American Board of Neurological Surgery
Education and training
- Medical School – University of Virginia, Doctor of Medicine
- University of Pennsylvania, Internship in General Surgery
- University of Pennsylvania, Residency in Neurosurgery
- University of Pennsylvania, Neurosurgery Research and Education Foundation (Fellowship)
- National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, Fellowship in Spine Surgery
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons
- New York State Neurosurgical Society
- Medical Society of the State of New York
Awards and publications
- Smith ML, Abrahams JA, Smith MJ, Chandela S, Hurst RW, LeRoux PD. Subarachnoid hemorrhage on computed tomography scanning and the development of cerebral vasospasm: The Fisher Grade Revisited. Surgical Neurology 63(3):229-34, 2005.
- Witgen BM*, Lifshitz J*, Smith ML*, Schwarzbach E, Liang S, Grady MS, Cohen AS. Regional hippocampal alteration associated with cognitive deficit following experimental brain injury: a systems, network and cellular evaluation. Neuroscience 133(1):1-15, 2005. *Shared first-authorship
- Smith ML, Counelis GJ, Maloney-Wilensky E, Stiefel MF, Donley K, LeRoux D. Brain tissue oxygen tension in clinical brain death: A Case Series. Neurological Research 29(7):755-9, 2007.
- view all
Total Patient reviews 68
All reviews have been submitted by patients after seeing the provider.
Overall rating 4.90
Wait time 4.62
Bedside manner 4.91